Hospital Bag Essentials

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Top 20 items to bring in hospital bag







Yesterday I began prepping my hospital bag and it really is different the second time around. When I was due with Juliet I brought everything I could think of with me. Not knowing what to expect I thought "better be safe than sorry". Looking back I feel silly that I brought so much stuff with me. I thought I would have down time so I brought some reading materials, my IPad, my entire make-up bag. . . Who has time for reading and make-up when you are pushing out a tiny human! Trust me, during labor you will not be worried about your appearance or catching up on some reading. You will be focused on one thing and that is getting you precious baby safely delivered as quickly as possible!

This time around I am simplifying everything and only taking what I really need. I made this list of 20 items I will be bringing with me.


  1. Bring a pretty robe, one that will look nice in pictures. You will want to look fabulous in all of the first pictures you take with your new bundle of joy. It will also come in handy when you have visitors and will cover any akward places that the hospital gown won't.  With Juliet I brought with me a robe to wear for the delivery but really, you are just going to ruin it. Save it for after the birth. The hospital provides you with a gown that you can wear without a care. 
  2. Inexpensive slippers that you don't mind ruining. These come in handy for trips to the bathroom, and walking around labor and delivery. 
  3. Snacks. The hospital won't really feed you before the delivery, they gave me lot's of water and ice but no food until the baby comes. It's nice to have something that both you and hubby can snack on. Trust me you will be hungry and will need the food for energy. I suggest bringing some granola bars or trail mix. Nothing to heavy.
  4. If you are anything like me you won't be able to sleep unless you have your pillow. I was so happy I brought mine with me because the hospital pillows were not comfortable at all! This really helped me get some rest after the delivery.
  5. Toiletry bag. You want to bring just some basic essentials; tinted moisturizer, face wash, some mascara, blush,  lip tint, and deodorant. That was all I used while I was there. It was nice to be able to freshen up a bit and look somewhat decent for visitors and pics.
  6. Lip Balm. Please don't forget this. All the breathing and pushing makes your lips so dry. I was constantly reapplying it!
  7. Cozy socks. The labor and delivery room is cold so bring some warm socks to keep your toes nice and toasty.
  8. Iphone and charger. No explanation needed. I think we are all lost without our phones now a days, 
  9. Baby's coming home outfit
  10. Swaddle blanket
  11. Body lotion. The hospital provides you with lotion but I like to bring my own. 
  12. Receiving blanket
  13. Camera to capture all of the special moments
  14. Hair brush & hair ties. Your hair will be a mess afterwards. . . At least mine was. 
  15. Comfortable loose fitting clothing for when you go home. I will be taking some leggings and long cardigan
  16. Nursing tank
  17. Nursing pillow. I was so sad I forgot mine when I delivered Juliet but we will be brining ours this time. It really helps when you are trying to get the hang of nursing.
  18. Weekender bag to fit everything in. With Juliet I brought my diaper bag and another bag with my stuff. I will be bringing everything in one larger bag this time. 
  19. Comfortable flats also for when you go home. These can be the same shoes you wear to the hospital. 
  20. Nursing bra. I just wore mine to the hospital and was good to have on during delivery because as soon as Juliet was born I was able to breast feed without worrying about taking my bra off. You never forget that first latch. It's magical. 

I hope you found this list helpful. The hospital provides you with all of the essentials needed to care for your baby and your post partum trauma. . .  Take advantage of it and don't be shy to ask for extras. The hospital gave us diapers, wipes, lanolin, even breast milk storage bottles. I walked out of there wearing the hospital mesh undies and asked the nurses for extras that I can wear at home. The nurse was nice enough to give me a whole box. It's going to be a hot mess down there and honestly these mesh undies are the most comfortable option.

What will you bring to the hospital?

XO,
Iris

You Might Also Like

0 comments

INSTAGRAM

Subscribe