On a serious note. . .

Wednesday, July 06, 2016



I've been on the fence about publishing this post because there really is no easy way to say this but motherhood has been kicking my butt lately. I've gotten to a place of guilt and sadness and am still trying to figure out how to get over it. 

The first week home with John Lucas (JL)was blissful. I was so proud of what my body had accomplished. Obsessed with my son and my beautiful family. I was on cloud nine, things could not get any better. John Lucas was sleeping 4 to 5 hours through the night. I didn't have issues with breast feeding this time around, John Lucas was nursing like a champ and Juliet (JR) seemed to be adjusting well to her brother. But that blissful feeling didn't last long.  On the third day home with JL I had a nightmare, a terrible vivid nightmare of JR drowning in a pool because I was busy tending to JL.  That was the beginning of everything... I woke up in panic. The dream was so vivid and real, I woke up feeling like I failed my daughter. I told my husband about it, talking about it made me cry and we were both sure it was just a reflection of my fears as a new mommy of two. 

The following week my husband went back to work  and I totally crashed. After a few days I started to feel a sense of doom when his alarm went off. I didn't want to be alone and the nightmares kept coming back. Every time John Lucas and Juliet cried at the same time I felt terrible, especially for Juliet. How could I have done this to her. She didn't ask for a sibling and all of the attention was now shifting away from her. How unfair. Then I felt bad for not being able to pay enough attention to John Lucas. Then I felt bad for feeling bad. How could I be sad when I have longed to be a mother for so long. This is what I wanted. It was a back and forth struggle in my mind. I felt torn because I couldn't devote my full attention to one child. Every task was interrupted mid way to tend to the other. Juliet would pull at her brother whenever I nursed and whine if I wasn't paying enough attention to her. I felt hopeless, I couldn't parent either one of my babies the way that I should be. On top of that my house was a mess, laundry was piling up and I couldn't catch a break to shower or even use the restroom. My mind would race with all of the things that needed to be done that I couldn't do and I started to feel anxious and angry. Most of the anger was aimed towards my poor husband. It was rough, I kept blaming hormones for my feelings and told myself it will get better.  It didn't.  

After three weeks I started to beg my husband to call in sick or  come home early. I would text him during the day with my complaints and  thoughts of the day. There were some good days here and there but even when I had good days deep down I was still sad. I don't know why but I was and I still feel this way at times. I think I stressed my husband out so much he ended up taking two more weeks of paternity leave, which he is still currently on. It has been like a blessing sent down from heaven because I am starting to feel better.  I find that most of the self loathing and sadness come on when I am alone and I don't know why. I have no reason to be sad. I have a wonderful support system and have every reason to be happy. I keep hoping it's baby blues that I'm dealing with but the feeling has been lingering for weeks now and am unsure if this can be classified as postpartum depression. I am afraid that the darker feelings will come back when John returns to work. I have an appointment with my OB next week and will be discussing this with her. Hoping she can provide me with some resources that can help. 

I would love feedback from anyone that has felt this way before. What helped you feel better in a situation such as this one? 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Iris you are so incredibly brave to share this. Postpartum depression is very difficult, but the more we speak up about it, the more other women feel supported, understood, and encouraged. None of us mommies are perfect, and we're all just trying our hardest to be the best we can possibly be for our partners and children. I know firsthand that sometimes the pressure can seem overwhelming, but you are doing all the right things to help yourself get thru this: acknowledging your feelings and asking for help! Another great coping mechanism is getting fresh air whether it's a walk around the block, or even just lounging in the backyard; the sunshine and fresh air does wonders! I'll keep you in my prayers and please know that I am always here for you. God bless you!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Trisha! It is sooo appreciated. That is exactly why I am sharing. Yes, with the summer in full swing We will def get out and get some fresh air Mayb set up the kiddie pool and splash with juju. Thanks for the support and prayers. I'm so glad I have a network of strong supportive and positive momas like you to lean on!

      Delete

INSTAGRAM

Subscribe