Baby's first trip

Sunday, December 06, 2015


Just got back from our first trip to Mexico and I have to say we had a great time. I was really nervous about traveling with a 9 month old but Juliet was so happy the entire trip and it was a great experience for the entire family. My biggest worry was the plane ride. I was so worried she would cry especially because we took the red-eye flight but she did great! Here are some tips and experience on what helped us survive our first vacation with our baby:
1.    Pack a diaper bag with essentials for the plane ride. I packed diapers, wipes, change of clothes, snacks, bottles and Juliet's favorite toy.

2.     Babywear if you can. This for me was a lifesaver. I wore Juliet in a ring sling and was able to pull our luggage and still had a free hand to do other important stuff like check us in. Juliet slept in the sling most of the time while we were waiting to board the plane. The sling was also great when we were out exploring the city.

3.     Most airlines allow you to check your stroller in for free either at the gate or when you’re checking-in. I wish I would have left it at home. I used my sling most of the time and it was just extra bulk that we had to lug around.
4.     Your baby will probably cry at some point...It’s okay. If people on the flight don’t like it they can request earplugs from the flight attendant, it's best just to worry on how to sooth your baby's needs and less about the noise.

5.     If you are bottle-feeding make sure you pack enough formula for your entire trip. Stores in other countries may not have the same type of formula you are using and you don't want to disrupt your baby's routine as much as possible.

6.     I would suggest taking a fresh new toy that your baby has not seen. I used this strategy with Juliet and it worked. She started getting fussy on the plane and the new toy kept her entertained for a while.
7.     Try not to plan too much the first two days you arrive. You really want to give your child time to get acclimated to their new surroundings and get adjusted to the time change! Juliet was so tired and cranky when we arrived at our destination. We stayed in the first day and really focused on getting her much needed rest. We were both exhausted and it seemed to really help us both to get some real r&r.
El Durazno Ranch
8.     Most important rule of all, don’t sweat the small stuff. Things don’t always go as planned and that’s okay. Take it easy and enjoy the time you have on vacation with your family. The key to enjoying your trip is being able to go with the flow.
This trip was very special to me. Juliet got to see where I was born and meet a lot of our family. I am especially grateful for the time she spent with her abuelitas (great grandmothers).  We enjoyed spending time in the plaza and exploring the beautiful sites Jalisco, Mexico has to offer. I am very grateful for our family in Mexico who showed us a great time. I look forward to sharing these memories with Juliet as she gets older.
Four generations

XO,

Iris

You Might Also Like

0 comments

INSTAGRAM

Subscribe