Reflections

Sunday, January 15, 2017


I am totally on the late train on this but 2016 literally kicked my butt. I spent most of this week reflecting on this past year and it was a rough year for me in all aspects. Work, family, and financial hardships hit close to home and the added exhaustion (that I though was normal) of raising two under two... I was just surviving. I felt depressed because I was constantly overwhelmed. I felt like I could't keep my head above water. Chores plied up, the house got messier and messier and I just grew more and more tired. I thought it was normal, it must be. . . My body barely had time to recouprate  after IVF and having Juliet and then I got pregnant right away with JL. I suppose I just forgot what normal and healthy is supposed to feel like. I was not listening to my body telling me that something was not right. For every symptom I gave an excuse. Blood in my stool, must be because of dreaded Charlie (lovely little hemorrhoid, yes I named it) thanks JL and JR. Exhaustion, (must be because I am running around all day keeping these two alive). Weight loss, (must be because I am nursing).  I would complain to John and he would constantly tell me to go to the Dr. I didn't listen.

Finally last week  as I am walking up the stairs with John Lucas I got really out of breath. I felt my heart palpitating. I had to stop half way up because I felt like I couldn't breath. That was when I knew something was not right. I am 30 years old. I should be able to walk up the stairs with my chunkers in arms.  The following day John took me to Urgent Care. I thought I would probably need vitamins or something minimal. When they took my blood pressure it was sky high. After reviewing my symptoms with the Dr. she urged me to go to the hospital because she could not run the proper tests. I got scared, but still didn't realize the severity. When we go there they ordered several tests and admitted me because I was extremely anemic. I was dehydrated and had to be put on IV fluids. I was in the hospital for 5 days, it was terrible. John and I spent new years eve watching the ball drop from  my hospital bed. I hated being away from my babies. The worst part of all was that I had to wean JL from nursing because of all of the steroids I was put on. The babies would come visit but it was hard to comfort JL when he wanted to nurse and refused the bottle. I am still trying to get over ending breastfeeding, we were not ready to end that relationship and I morn for that closeness we shared. However, I am thankful he got almost 8 months of boobie milk goodness. I am also thankful for my family who jumped in and helped with the kids. I don't now what I would do without them. 

I was diagnosed with UC (ulcerative colitis), it is an auto immune disease that attacks the good bacteria in your colon. It causes inflammation, ulcers, bleeding, anemia, exhaustion and weight loss. While I was in the hospital getting medication to treat my condition and rehydrating, I started to feel what normal is supposed to feel like. I can't believe I went so long thinking that the exhaustion I was feeling was normal! Now that I am home and on medication I am starting to feel better and have so much more energy. I can keep up. I can do it. I am a good mom. I no longer feel like a failure.

I am thankful that we got to the hospital at a good time before the condition caused irreversible harm.  I am also thankful to be on the road to recovery. There are a lot of changes I have to make to maintain a healthy lifestyle and I am excited and ready to take it all on. I am going to make 2017 a great year of change and progress. I will be sharing my intentions for 2017 in a post to follow. 

I just want to stress to you mammas to please listen to your inner voice. Our bodies go through so much during pregnancy and postpartum it's easy to put off some serious symptoms.  If it doesn't feel right talk to your doctor. 

XO,
Iris 



You Might Also Like

0 comments

INSTAGRAM

Subscribe